The Wallis Family lives on the Little Rocky Hill in Ngambri / Ngunnawal country, in the beautiful Australian Capital Territory. Australian by choice, my heritage is English, Welsh and Ghanaian – with ancestry in France, Switzerland, Scandinavia, and the West coast of Africa. My amazing wife, Ruth, is a passionate educator and the founder of AfroShe. Ruth is of Ghanaian heritage. Together, we are the delirious and bleary-eyed parents of three awesome kids, Evie, Ben and Caleb.
At work in 2020
From a young age I was always fascinated by the question of our place in the universe.
- In the 1970s my discovery of Erich Von Daniken led to a life-changing spiritual encounter in 1982. Theological education in North-east Brazil and Amazonia, via the north of England, sent me on a journey of learning around the world, from the UK to Australia.
- Since the 1990’s my books and radio broadcasts have brought mysticism and spirituality from the Christian tradition to a mainstream audience.
- Today my work is in healing, coaching, and presenting on our origins as a species and our potential today as human beings.
I am continually inspired by our family of spiritual ancestors – the “great cloud of witnesses.” In particular I owe a great debt to:
- the empowering holism of educators like Paolo Freire
- the courage of contemporary investigators like Erich Von Daniken, Regina Meredith and others who teach me to surrender egoic ambitions to pursue truth and consciousness – and do so in a way that shares the journey with others
- Vladimir Lossky, and the author of “The Cloud of Unknowing” – Eastern & Western people of the “Apophatic Way” – the way of unknowing (I Corinthians 8:1)
- the soul-friendship and intentional community of exemplars like Francis and Clare of Assisi, Aidan of Lindisfarne, Hilda of Whitby and Benedict of Norcia
- the courage and integrity of socio-spiritual pioneers like John Wesley and early Methodists, Thomas Helwys and the first Baptists who defeudalised their expressions of community
- Hesychast prayer-people of Eastern Orthodoxy – such as Seraphim of Sarov, Theophan the Recluse, Dmitri of Rostov – and Western mystics like John of the Cross and Meister Eckhart – all teach me to breathe with the quiet energies of God and to develop a peaceful spirit
If you browse my website, thinking, “OMG, Paul certainly wasn’t any fount of grace and wisdom when I met him!’ then please let me ask for your grace and forgiveness. Often we are clumsy and unaware in our youth and our adulthood! We are all people in process. I still aspire to being a late bloomer!! The New Testament vision sees God’s goodness and creativity continually at work in our innermost being, fulfilling and transforming us (Philippians 2.13, Hebrews 12.2, Ephesians 2.10). I find that to be true. And what an incredible journey it makes!