After three years among the farms and vineyards of Victoria’s Yarra Valley, the Wallis Family has relocated to the beautiful Australian Capital Territory. We live on the Little Rocky Hill in Ngunnawal country. Australian by choice, my heritage is English, Welsh and Ghanaian – with ancestry in France, Switzerland, Scandinavia, and the West coast of Africa. My amazing wife, Ruth, is a passionate educator and the founder of AfroShe. Ruth is of Ghanaian heritage. Together, we are the delirious and bleary-eyed parents of three awesome kids, Evie, Ben and Caleb.
From a young age I was always fascinated by the question of our place in the universe.
- In the 1970s my discovery Erich Von Daniken led me to a life-changing spiritual encounter in 1982. Ensuing theological education in North-east Brazil and Amazonia, via the north of England, propelled me on a lifelong journey of learning that has taken me around the world, from the UK to Australia.
- Since the 1990’s my books and radio broadcasts have brought mysticism and spirituality from the Christian tradition to a mainstream audience.
- Today my work is in healing, coaching, and presenting on humanity’s origins and our place in cosmic history – informed by every aspect of that amazing journey.
I am continually inspired by our family of spiritual ancestors – what the New Testament calls the “great cloud of witnesses.” In particular I owe a great debt to:
- the holism of educators like Paolo Freire
- Eastern & Western champions of the apophatic way of unknowing (I Cor 8:1)
- the soul-friendship and radical eremiticism of exemplars like Francis and Clare of Assisi, Aidan of Lindisfarne, Hilda of Whitby and Benedict of Norcia
- the courage and integrity of pioneers like John Wesley and the first Methodists, and Thomas Helwys and the first Baptists who defeudalised their expressions of faith
- the Hesychast prayer-people of Eastern Orthodoxy – such as Seraphim of Sarov, Theophan the Recluse, Dmitri of Rostov – and champions of Western mysticism like John of the Cross and Meister Eckhart – who teach me to breathe with the quietness and energies of God and to develop a peaceful spirit
- the courage of contemporary investigators like Erich Von Daniken, Bruce Lipton, Bill McKenna and Matthew Fox who teach me to surrender ego and reputation in pursuit of truth and consciousness beyond the boundaries of our familiar boxes and to do so in a way that opens the same journey to others.
If you browse my website, thinking, “OMG, Paul wasn’t any fount of grace and wisdom when I met him!’ then please let me ask for your grace and forgiveness. We are all people in process and I still aspire to being a late bloomer!! According to the New Testament, God is always at work in and through us (Philippians 2.13, Hebrews 12.2, Ephesians 2.10). I find that to be true And what a wonderful and surprising journey it makes!