“Since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us…run with perseverance the race marked out for us…” (Hebrews 12:1-2)
In 2019 – after three years among the farms and vineyards of Victoria’s Yarra Valley, the Wallis Family has relocated to the beautiful Australian Capital Territory. An enthusiastic Australian, my heritage is English, Welsh and Ghanaian – with ancestry in France, Switzerland, Scandinavia, and the West coast of Africa. I am married to Ruth, who is a passionate Primary School Teacher and the founder of AfroShe. Ruth is of Ghanaian heritage. Ruth and I are the delirious and bleary-eyed parents of three awesome kids, Evie, Ben and Caleb. I am, irrepressibly, a musician, a story-teller, an author, a mentor, a conscious breather and a barefoot walker.
Inspired by the “great cloud” of our spiritual ancestors, my books and broadcasts have always sought to share the spiritual treasures of historic Christianity, tell its mystical stories and always answer the “so what?” of that exploration. Increasingly my drive is, “Let us remember who are we are and live in the light of all that is possible.” That’s why my latest book drills deeper into questions of human origins and what our mythologies report concerning where humanity has come from.
I am continually inspired by:
- the holism of educators like Paolo Freire and Martin Luther King Jr
- the soul-friendship and radical Gospel living of exemplars like Francis and Clare of Assisi, Aidan of Lindisfarne, Hilda of Whitby and Benedict of Norcia
- the courageous integrity of pioneers like John Wesley and the first Methodists, and Thomas Helwys and the first Baptists who defeudalised their expressions of faith
- the Hesychast prayer-people of Eastern Orthodoxy – people like Seraphim of Sarov, Theophan the Recluse, Dmitri of Rostov, etc – and the champions of Western mysticism – people like John of the Cross and Meister Eckhart – who teach me to breathe with the quietness and energies of God and to develop a peaceful spirit
- the courage of contemporary investigators like Erich Von Daniken, Regina Meredith, Bill McKenna and Sean Stone who teach me to surrender ego and reputation in pursuit of truth and consciousness beyond the boundaries of our familiar boxes and to do so in a way that opens the same journey to others.
With all those I have named I believe that our universe is the expression of an ultimate, creative Spirit, whom we call God. My own faith is centered on the historic figure of Jesus Christ, who reveals to us the fatherly love of God for all beings – including all human beings. Waking up to the realm of God, spirit and love is an all-embracing and life-transforming journey.
If you browse my website, thinking, “OMG, Paul wasn’t any fount of grace and wisdom when I met him!’ then please let me ask for your grace and forgiveness. We are all people in process and I still aspire to being a late bloomer!! The New Testament says that God is always at work in us (Philippians 2.13, Hebrews 12.2, Ephesians 2.10). What a wonderful and surprising journey that makes!