Today the Wallis Family lives on the banks of the Yharr (“Running Water”) in Ngunnawal country, New South Wales, just next door the beautiful Australian Capital Territory. Australian by choice, my heritage is English, Welsh and Ghanaian – with ancestry in France, Switzerland, Scandinavia, and the West coast of Africa. My amazing wife, Ruth, is a passionate educator and the founder of AfroShe. Ruth is of Ghanaian heritage. Together, we are the delirious and bleary-eyed parents of three awesome kids, Evie, Ben and Caleb, and two cats Hugo and Skye.
At work in 2020
From a young age I was always fascinated by the question of our place in the universe.
- In the 1970s my discovery of Erich Von Daniken led to a life-changing spiritual encounter in 1982. Theological education in North-east Brazil and Amazonia, via the north of England, sent me on a journey of learning around the world, from the UK to Australia.
- Since the 1990’s my books and radio broadcasts have brought mysticism and spirituality from the Christian tradition to a mainstream audience.
- Today my work is in healing, coaching, and presenting on our origins as a species and our potential today as human beings.
At work in 2021
I am continually inspired by our family of spiritual ancestors – the “great cloud of witnesses.” In particular I owe a great debt to:
- the empowering holism of educators like Paolo Freire
- contemporary investigators who teach me to pursue truth and to share the journey
- Vladimir Lossky, and others of the “Apophatic Way” (the way of unknowing – I Corinthians 8:1)
- the soul-friendship and intentional community of friends like Francis and Clare of Assisi, Aidan of Lindisfarne, Hilda of Whitby and Benedict of Norcia
- The Hesychast prayer-people of Eastern Orthodoxy – like Seraphim of Sarov, Theophan the Recluse, and Dmitri of Rostov – and Western mystics like John of the Cross and Meister Eckhart. All teach me to breathe and to develop a peaceful spirit.
If you browse my website, thinking, “OMG, Paul certainly wasn’t any fount of grace and wisdom when I met him!’ then please let me ask for your grace and forgiveness. We are are often clumsy and unaware in our youth. In our adulthood too! And we are all people in process. Life is a journey of change and growth – and I still aspire to being a late bloomer!!