The Wallis Family lives on the Little Rocky Hill in Ngunnawal country, in the beautiful Australian Capital Territory. Australian by choice, my heritage is English, Welsh and Ghanaian – with ancestry in France, Switzerland, Scandinavia, and the West coast of Africa. My amazing wife, Ruth, is a passionate educator and the founder of AfroShe. Ruth is of Ghanaian heritage. Together, we are the delirious and bleary-eyed parents of three awesome kids, Evie, Ben and Caleb.
From a young age I was always fascinated by the question of our place in the universe.
- In the 1970s my discovery of Erich Von Daniken led to a life-changing spiritual encounter in 1982. Theological education in North-east Brazil and Amazonia, via the north of England, sent me on a journey of learning around the world, from the UK to Australia.
- Since the 1990’s my books and radio broadcasts have brought mysticism and spirituality from the Christian tradition to a mainstream audience.
- Today my work is in healing, coaching, and presenting on our origins as a species and our potential today as human beings.
I am continually inspired by our family of spiritual ancestors – the “great cloud of witnesses.” In particular I owe a great debt to:
- the empowering holism of educators like Paolo Freire
- the courage of contemporary investigators like Anselm Pi Rambla, Erich Von Daniken, Bruce Lipton, and Matthew Fox who teach me to surrender ego to pursue truth and consciousness and do so in a way that shares the journey with others
- Vladimir Lossky, and the author of “The Cloud of Unknowing” – Eastern & Western people of the “Apophatic Way” – the way of unknowing (I Corinthians 8:1)
- the soul-friendship and intentional community of exemplars like Francis and Clare of Assisi, Aidan of Lindisfarne, Hilda of Whitby and Benedict of Norcia
- the courage and integrity of socio-spiritual pioneers like John Wesley and early Methodists, Thomas Helwys and the first Baptists who defeudalised their expressions of community
- Hesychast prayer-people of Eastern Orthodoxy – such as Seraphim of Sarov, Theophan the Recluse, Dmitri of Rostov – and Western mystics like John of the Cross and Meister Eckhart – all teach me to breathe with the quiet energies of God and to develop a peaceful spirit
If you browse my website, thinking, “OMG, Paul certainly wasn’t any fount of grace and wisdom when I met him!’ then please let me ask for your grace and forgiveness. Often we are clumsy and unaware in our youth and our adulthood! We are all people in process. I still aspire to being a late bloomer!! The New Testament vision sees God’s goodness and creativity continually at work in our innermost being, fulfilling and transforming us (Philippians 2.13, Hebrews 12.2, Ephesians 2.10). I find that to be true. And what an incredible journey it makes!